Dates: December 16th - 24th, 2019
Applications Open September 5, 2019
Deadline: September 22, 2019, 11:59 PM Hawaiian Standard Time
Up to 92 participants will be selected to participate in this year’s JACL Kakehashi Program, coordinated by the Japanese American Citizens League (JACL) and the Japan International Cooperation Center (JICE), and supported by funding from the Japan Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA).
Selected participants will attend a 9-day trip to Japan where they will visit a number of historical and educational sites, experience traditional and cultural activities, and participate in lectures and workshops. Each trip will visit Tokyo and one other city to be announced.
- Must be interested in U.S – Japan relations, as well as Japanese American interests.
- Must be of Japanese Ancestry
- Currently enrolled in a community college, undergraduate, graduate, or young professionals who have an undergraduate or graduate degree
- Must have US permanent resident status (citizens or green card holders) and travel with a US passport
- Must be at least 18 years old by the date of acceptance into the program and no older than 25 on the day they intend to depart for Japan
- Japanese dual citizens under the age of 22 may apply
- Those who have participated in Kakehashi or other programs funded by the Japanese government are ineligible.
- Those who have studied or stayed in Japan for over a year are ineligible.
- You do not need to be a JACL member to be eligible.
Click the button below to apply and visit jacl.org for more information!